Shepherd’s pie has become a staple in my household. It’s such a quick, hearty, yummy meal and when I find something my picky kids enjoy, we keep it!
There’s actually 2 different ways I make this depending on the amount of time I have (and the effort I want to give). One is with homemade potatoes and the other calls for just box mashed potatoes. Obviously the homemade potatoes is the BEST version, but both are yummy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion-diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
- 2lbs Yellow Potatoes- roughly cut in 1-2” cubes
- 1/4 cup Milk (use more if needed)
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- *shredded cheddar cheese on top is optional but super yummy too!
- *you can also add brown gravy or cream of mushroom soup to the pie. My kids don’t like it so we choose to omit that step.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Bring water to a boil and add in cubed potatoes. Let cook until potatoes are tender and slide off a fork.
- Brown the beef and onion in a pan on med-high heat. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place frozen veggies in microwave and steam for about 4 minutes.
- Combine frozen veggies and ground beef mixture in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Once potatoes are soft, drain and mash with butter, milk, and seasoning salt
- Smooth potatoes over the beef and veggies. Then use a fork to create little “peaks” in the top of the potatoes. Trust me.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!
**if you opt for box potatoes, make according to the back of the box and add those on top. This works great for a less-hassle dinner prep (though nothing beats homemade!)
We love to serve our shepherds pie with a fresh salad and some biscuits on the side!